Fitness activities Skill based practice Modified games
Before you ponder this, the sports coach must understand how to successfully organise training sessions.
Exercise for kids is one of the main aims of kids sports. I believe the planning and implementing of the weekly training sessions is what the majority of junior kids sports coaches stress about the most. Have you ever hurriedly looked up YOUTUBE to find a few drills and activities just before your sports training session?
1. You will provide a safe environment.
2. You will mazimise athlete participation and make effective use of the time available.
3. You will have all the required resources and sports equipment ready and available at the start of the training session.
4. You will provide challenging vigorous exercise that helps facilitate progressive skill development in all participants.
5. You will include all athletes, regardless of their level of ability and motivation.
6. Be prepared for disruptive child behaviour. Have a plan.
7. Keep the training session FUN. Maximise player enjoyment whenever possible during the training.
8. Finish the training session at the scheduled time. Keep the Mum's and Dad's happy!
In summary exercise for kids is cyclic in nature. The above 7 points for conducting worthwhile training sessions for kids will be repeated over and over for the entire period of your coaching kids sports career. By refining the goals and athlete experiences for each training session it won't belong until you join the Pro coach ranks!
Need more information? CLICK HERE for EXTRA tips for junior sports coaches when planning a kids training session.
Coaches and teachers have been inventing training programs for exercise for kids since junior sport began. Don't try and reinvent the wheel.
The sports coach needs to use the internet, club coaching directors and any local sports specific development officers to plan and implement quality training sessions.
Don't get caught following the exercise for kids programs of years gone bye, or copying what you did when you were a kid. Running laps of the field or court, followed by a big game doesn't constitute a great training session.
With a little bit of planning the inexperienced sports coach can develop and deliver a highly active, fun and enjoyable set of fitness drills, specific game skills and finally game strategies for each training session.
Its now time to worry about fitness and skill based activities, modified games and game play.
If you are having trouble planning training sessions ask for help!
FREE Membership to my Rookie to Pro Coaching education.
As a thank you you will instantly receive the 11 fundamental sports skills every child must master to be proficient at sports.
Can you afford not to allow your team or individuals the best possible chance of success?
Subscribe now for FREE!
If you come to my coaching kids sports website as a budding football / soccer coach I will let you know of a great program that I purchased and have shared with my fellow teachers. It called Epic Soccer. It was developed by Matt Smith a guy who coached himself to a pro level. You should check it out. It certainly helped many in my part of the world.